In my room there is a jewelry box.
It is filled with emeralds and rubies, gold and silver.
They are treasures of the earth, and they come from my grandmother.
As I look at them I think of her.
And I think of the other jewels she's given me.
My grandmother finds joy in accomplishment.
She values education and she embraces learning.
She is a master of creating wonderful things to eat.
She finds beauty--in song, in art, in life, and in people.
My grandmother is a woman of faith.
She loves the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
She studies Him. She thinks of Him. She Prays.
She thanks God for her blessings and turns to him in all things.
My grandmother embodies familial love.
She treasures relationships with sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, grandchildren.
She remembers and reveres those in the family who have gone before.
With my grandfather, she teaches us all what love really means.
I look at the box of jewels in my room. I will give them to my children someday.
And I think of the greatest jewels my grandmother has given me: love of life, faith in God, family ties.
I will pass those on to my children, too. And they will pass them on to their children.
And in our posterity these treasures will shine forever.
Just like the jewels in my box.
We will always remember you, Grandma. God bless you!
Love, Steph, Brian, and Jeffrey
2 comments:
Way to make me cry.
I hate saying "I'm sorry" for such a loss as this. It sounds - I don't know - pithy and shallow and cliche.
But I still am. Deeply, deeply sorry.
That is a beautiful poem with beautiful sentiment. Isn't it great to have wonderful memories and know that we are better people because of the great examples of great people.
Post a Comment